Sunday, November 8, 2009

Flashback?!?! - Hot Dogs, Loaves & Fishes!




This story lingers in my mind like the taste of hot french fries, lightly salted and seasoned, with ketchup and vinegar, and a splash of Franks hot sauce. Mmmmmm..., yeah! Remember May 2000? We had a picnic outside on the lawn of the church. It was warm like a hug from your mom. It was the Thursday before Memorial Day.

"Circle of Friends" had only been meeting for maybe a year, and we weren't even called "Circle of Friends" at the time. We decided to finish our season with a picnic outside. I brought my yard-sale $5.00 red Weber grill, and everyone brought side items. It was like an old time church pot luck supper.
Len played delightful music streaming out through the yard and into the parking lot. Everyone sang along and worshipped. Tables covered in brightly colored cloths rainbowed around us with balloons gently being tugged by the warm presummer breeze. We only planned for 75 people. Well, we only had 14-20 coming to the group that would be "Circle of Friends." Surely there wouldn't be 75?!?!

Inside the mansion near us was a meeting/training about leadership. That seems to be a favorite topic to attend for church goers these last ten years. Everyone wants to be a leader. I was missing it, and admitedly I was a bit saddened by this. I was a deacon for heaven's sake! I should be in that room! Shouldn't I? I saw our pastor walking in as we were welcoming our first year's group to the first of many end of season picnics. Even though I was missing the leadership stuff I was having the time of my life hanging out with tremendous folks, starting what would become the beginning of great memories for us all. The Circle of Friends picnics have become legendary, at least with us.

I remember Jim taking over the grill as the expected crowd began to swell. Jim helped in one of the group homes, and he always lends a hand without being asked, especially when he sees it is particularly busy. Folks were everywhere and the music and the cackling of people calling my name was a bit dizzying. I recall counting up to about 125 people that were actually there, milling about like my dog(s) when we have meat out in the kitchen. I thought to myself, "How is a small 22 inch Weber going to cook for that many people." I also briefly considered that we only bought and brought food for 75. Oh well. We're not really in control of this anyhow...who needs leadership training when God truly runs His worship, and we're just graced to attend.
The evening ended as it always has with our group. Everyone had a heavenly time, and ate until they had enough. It's been that way for over 10 years. We've met at times with no band, no refreshments, not much help, no idea what was going on - pretty much S.O.P. for me - but, the Spirit is always at COF, and HE always gives us what we need. Our first big picnic surely wasn't "loaves and fishes" but, we had enough hot dogs and such to feed everyone.
I am always amazed that God shows up for this rag-tag group of socially considered misfits, and blesses us with His presence (and/or presents) every week. I also remember thinking that I've never read anywhere in the Bible that God had Moses, or anyone else for that matter train to lead for Him. He called them and by faith they went. I was honored later when our pastor told me that I didn't really need to be in the training anyway. We were already doing it, and we had a hug from God on the lawn of the church, with a side of fries! Why miss that for a meeting?

No comments:

Post a Comment