Saturday, February 27, 2010

Jesus says, "Hi."



It has been a few weeks since I've been able to get away from life. Things are flying by; everyday during the school year seems to run into the next so quickly that sometimes just going to the toilet seems like a retreat. I can understand how some folks joke that they'll rest when they're dead. I don't pray for death but, I truly get what they mean. Life itself has felt a bit like a busy-death.


I don't believe the bible says we should pray regarding anything or anyone that is dead though. It does say that when you are absent from the body, you are present with the Lord. (Why would you need prayer if you're with God?) Jesus also said, "...let the dead bury the dead...," and although people have been praying for the dead since before the Christian church began, I have a difficult time praying for them. Still, many evenings at COF someone will ask me to say a prayer at the end of the night for their relative who recently, (or not recently) passed away. I don't pray for them. I do ask Jesus to say "Hi" to them for us. I figure it is a reasonable compromise. We can't (and shouldn't - according to the bible) talk with them but God can.


So I said a prayer last week and asked Jesus to tell a loved one "Hello" from our group. I don't often consider how the devotions or prayers at COF will be taken by our group. Through prayer and reading the bible, I trust the Holy Spirit to influence and guide me, and God can handle the "fall-out" with everyone.


Life was moving along as usual last Thursday as we cleaned up after the closing prayer, and a friend of mine, Chris came over to talk with me about his girlfriend. When we finished the chat Chris said, "Jesus says 'Hi' to you everyday." I felt the sting in his words. Was I dead? Have things deadened me so that the enjoyment of life has been "Hoovered" out? "No," I thought. I am alive because Jesus died for me! My friend Chris emptied my bag of dead-business and took out the trash that I should have known my faith already did for me. I don't know why we hold onto things, maybe that's why some of us are compelled to pray for loved ones we can't let go of. Maybe letting go will slow things down for us; Jesus did say His yoke was "easy," and His burden, "light." Jesus say's "Hi" to me, and you everyday. I will always remember that now. Thanks friends..., you're a lifesaver.

No comments:

Post a Comment